How to Store CoffeeAugust 25, 2017
How to Rebuild After IrmaSeptember 15, 2017
With the threat of Hurricane Irma headed towards Florida, we think it’s time that we give you a quick rundown on things you should do before you leave. As powerful as this hurricane may be, these simple tips will go along way to ensure you and your things are the way they should be when the storm passes.
Hurricane Irma Prep Tips
Before The Storm
With the storm on it’s way through the Caribbean, you have a few day to prepare for it. Here is a quick list of things you should do before it gets here:
- Know the emergency shelters here in Gainesville. Here is a website will all the info on shelters.
- Have a disaster supply kit ready and on hand. Here is a quick guide to assembling an emergency kit.
- Have non-perishable food and water on hand and ready.
- Prescription medicines and a backup supply.
Keeping your home as safe as you can is important too:
- Shutter your windows (plywood works great in a pinch). DO NOT leave windows open, this is a myth and will not help.
- Trim nearby trees and branches. Loose branches can cause a lot of damage to your home, vehicles and persons.
- Get your pets ready, have food and water available for them.
- Have emergency communications setup. Battery operated radios and walkie talkies are good idea.
During The Storm
During the storm make sure to do these things:
- Listen to the radio and understand the storms path.
- Evacuate if you are told to, take blankets and your emergency supplies to nearest shelter.
- Stay away from glass windows and door.
- Put all important documents in waterproof bags (dry bags work well here)
- Do not return to your home until instructed.
We at Security Mini Storage hope and pray that all you in Gainesville and Florida remain safe during this storm.